The government have announced that a new state-owned body, Great British Railways (GBR), will set timetables and prices, sell tickets in England and manage rail infrastructure.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps admitted the current system was "too complicated" and "fragmented".
He also promised GBR would be more accountable for delays and disruption.
Private operators will still be contracted to run most trains and the most of the planned reforms will not start coming in until 2023.
Under the reforms:
- All tickets will be sold by GBR in the future, ending the system where passengers must buy them from multiple companies online and in stations
- There will be a "significant rollout" of more pay as you go, contactless and digital ticketing on smartphones
- And from next month flexible season tickets will be available for some people who commute two or three times a week.
The flexible season tickets will offer savings on certain routes for people who do not travel to work every day, reflecting the expected changes to commuting patterns after the pandemic.
They are due to go on sale on 21 June for use seven days later, and will allow passengers to travel on any eight days in a 28-day period.
GBR will replace the current track operator, Network Rail, but it probably will not be launched until 2023.
The government says the new system will look more like Transport for London, with multiple operators under one brand, offering greater accountability.
Unsurprisingly shares in Trainline tanked by 25% this morning!
Tax Investigation Insurance
Having a Solar Protect Tax Investigation Insurance policy at your disposal means that should you be one of the many 1000's of businesses or individuals that are selected by HMRC each year to look into your tax affairs your own accountant (your tax return agent) can get on and defend you robustly.
You have the peace of mind knowing that your accountant's (your tax return agent) fees will be paid by the insurance without any Excess for you to find.
Tax Investigation Insurance is an insurance policy that will fully reimburse your accountants (your tax return agent) fees up to £100,000 if you are subject to enquiry by or dispute with HMRC.
A Solar Protect policy will enable your Accountant (your tax return agent) to:
- Deal with any correspondence from HMRC
- Attend any meeting with HMRC
- Appeal to the First-tier Tribunal or Upper Tribunal
- Having the security of knowing that fees will be met in full will enable your Accountant (your tax return agent) to defend your position robustly
Please click here for details.